GitLab Inc. has at most five layers in the team structure:
- CxO's and VP's
- Individual contributors (IC's), which can be a specialist in one thing and be an expert in multiple things.
*There is one exception to the above structure. Due to the large number of sales development representatives (SDRs) and business development representatives (BDRs) we have 1 extra layer of management: team leads that report into the manager of sales and business development. Some of individual contributors (without any direct reports) have manager in their title but are not considered a manager in our team structure structure nor salary calculator, examples are product manager, accounting manager, account manager, channel sales manager, technical account manager, field marketing managers, online marketing manager, and product marketing manager.
The groupings of multiple layers are called:
- C-team (CEO and CxO's)
- Executive team / e-team (CEO, CxO's, and VP's)
- Director team (Directors and up)
- Management team (Leads and up)
- Team / team members / (Git)Labbers (everyone working at the company)
- Community (all contributors to GitLab, when excluding team members use: wider community)
We refer to parts of the organization as either functions, departments, or bands. We don't use teams since we're one team and it can create confusion. Here is an example in the form of a slice of our organization:
- Function: Engineering
- Department: Frontend
- Department: Backend
- Band: Monitoring
- Band: CI/CD
When we work together cross functionally we call that a crew. A crew is a temporary group, it disbands after work is complete. A crew is self-organizing, for example our product managers are not project managers that tell you what to do, and a cross functional team does not have a manager. A crew doesn't have reporting lines, we don't want a matrix organization. An example of a crew is the people working on our project to migrate GitLab.com to Google Cloud Platform who are from the production, build, database, and Geo groups.
- Vitalii Chyzh Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Nataliia Maiier Co-founder, Business Development Manager
- Yuriy Drohobytskiy Co-founder, Backend Lead
- Nazar Kisil Backend Software Engineer
- Vitaly Brevus Co-founder, People Operations Manager